Curriculum vitae of Vladimir Maz’ya
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences, University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 7ZL, UK, Honorary Senior Fellow
Dept. of Mathematics, Linköping University, SE-581 83 Linköping, Sweden, Professor Emeritus
Phone: +44-151-7944016 (Liverpool), +46-13-28 23 73 (Linköping),
Fax: ++44-151-7944061 (Liverpool) +46-13-28 57 60 (Linköping)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Liverpool), email@example.com (Linköping)
Main research interests
∙ Linear and nonlinear PDEs ∙ Asymptotic and numerical methods for PDEs, including homogenization and
boundary elements ∙ Spectral theory ∙ Harmonic analysis ∙ Approximation theory ∙ Wavelets ∙ Elasticity
theory ∙ Function spaces ∙ Ill-posed problems ∙ Nonlinear potential theory ∙ Fluid mechanics ∙ History of
- 1965 Sci. D. in Mathematics Leningrad State University, Russia
- 1962 Ph. D. in Mathematics Moscow State University, Russia
- 1960 MS in Mathematics Leningrad State University, Russia
- 2010 – Honorary Senior Fellow, Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Liverpool
- September 2003 - 2010 – Professor, Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Liverpool
- January, 2004 - June 2008 Professor, Department of Mathematics, Ohio State University
- September - November 2003 Senior Fellow, Schrödinger Institute, Vienna
- January - June 2003 Visiting Stone Professor, Northeastern University, Boston
- March - May 2002 Visiting position Maitre des Recherches, Institute Henri Poincaré, Paris
- September - December 1994 Visiting position of Maitre des Recherches, École Polytechnique, Palesaux
- 2003 – Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Linköping University, Sweden
- 1993 - 2002 Professor, Department of Mathematics, Linköping University, Sweden
- 1990 - 1993 Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics, Linköping University, Sweden
- 1986-1990 Head of Laboratory of Mathematical Models in Mechanics, Leningrad Institute of Engineering
Studies of Academy of Sciences USSR
- 1968-1972 Professor, Department of Mathematics, Leningrad Shipbuilding Institute
- 1964-1986 Senior Research Scientist, Mathematics and Mechanics Institute, Leningrad State University
- 1960-1964 Junior Research Scientist, Mathematics and Mechanics Institute, Leningrad University
Honours and Awards
- November 2020, Member of the EU Academy of Sciences
- October 2013, Foreign Member of the Georgian National Academy of Sciences
- 2012 elected fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
- July 2009, Senior Whitehead Prize of the London Mathematical Society.
- May 2004, The Celsius Gold Medal of the Royal Society of Sciences at Uppsala.
- March 2003, Verdaguer Prize of the French Academy of Sciences.
- April 2002, Member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.
- 5th March, 2001, Corresponding Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
- November 1999, Humboldt Research Prize.
- 1990 Doctor honoris causa of the University of Rostock, Germany.
- 1962 Prize of the Leningrad Mathematical Society, Russia.
Publications in honour of Vladimir Maz’ya
- Around the Research of Vladimir Maz’ya I - III: Function Spaces, Partial Differential Equations, Analysis
Applications, International Mathematical Series, Vol. 11-13 A. Laptev (Ed.), Springer, 2010.
- Analysis, Partial Differential Equations and Applications, The Vladimir Maz’ya Anniversary Volume,
Series: Operator Theory: Advances and Applications, Vol. 193, A. Cialdea, F. Lanzara, P.E. Ricci (Eds.),
- Perspectives in Partial Differential Equations, Harmonic Analysis and Applications: A Volume in Honor
of Vladimir G. Maz’ya’s 70th Birthday, Proceedings of Symposia in Pure Mathematics, AMS, 2008.
- M.V. Anolik et al, Vladimir Gilelevich Maz’ya (On the Occasion of His 70th Anniversary), Vestnik
Sankt-Peterburgskogo Universiteta. Seriya 1. Matematika, Mekhanika, Astronomiya, no. 4 (2008), 3–6.
- M. S. Agranovich et al, Vladimir Gilelevich Maz’ya (on his 70th birthday), Russian Math. Surveys 63:1
- M.S.Agranovich et al, Vladimir G. Maz’ya. On the occasion of his 65th anniversary, Russian J. of Math.
Physics, 10:3 (2003), 239–244.
- The Maz’ya Anniversary Collection, Rossmann, J., Takač, P., Wildenhain, G. (Eds.), Birkhäuser Verlag,
Volume 1: On Maz’ya’s Work in Functional Analysis, Partial Differential Equations and Applications.
Volume 2: Rostock Conference on Functional Analysis, Partial Differential Equations and Applications.
- Mathematical Aspects of Boundary Element Methods, dedicated to Vladimir Maz’ya on the occasion of his
60th birthday, M. Bonnet, A.-M. Sändig and W. Wendland (Eds.), Chapman and Hall/CRC Research
Notes in Mathematics, London, 1999.
- Eidus, D. et al, Mathematical work of Vladimir Maz’ya (on the occasion of his 60th birthday), Funct.
Differ. Equ. 4 (1997), no. 1-2 (1998), 3–11.
Conferences in honour of Vladimir Maz’ya
- December 16-17, 2013, Analysis of Partial Differential Equations - Symposium in honour of Vladimir
Mazya on the occasion of his 75th Birthday, Liverpool.
- August 25 –27, 2008, Nordic-Russian Symposium in honour of Vladimir Maz’ya on the occasion of his
70th birthday, Stockholm.
- Analysis, PDEs and Applications, Conference on the occasion of the 70th birthday of Vladimir Maz’ya,
Rome, June 30 - July 3, 2008.
- August 31–Sept 4, 1998, A conference in honour of Vladimir Maz’ya, Functional Analysis, Partial
Differential Equations and Applications, Rostock, Germany.
- January 1993, Conference ”Sobolev spaces and potential theory” in honour of Vladimir Maz’ya, Kyoto.
Some other professional activities
- Member of the NSF panel Harmonic Analysis and Partial Differential Equations, Washington, 2007.
- A member of The Friends of Mittag-Leffler Institute, 1999-2000.
- Organizer and Chairman of two International Conferences on Applied and Industrial Mathematics,
Linköping, Sweden, December 1991 and June 1994
- Plenary speaker at the Second Italian-Japanese Workshop on Geometry of Solutions to Parabolic and
Elliptic PDE’s, June 20-24, Cortona, 2011.
- Plenary speaker at the Workshop on New Function space in PDEs and Harmonic Analysis, Naples, May
31 - June 4, 2011.
- Plenary speaker at the Conference on Open Mathematical Problems from Industry and Elsewhere, John
Ockendon celebration event, Oxford, December 9, 2010.
- Plenary speaker at the Summer School and Workshop on Harmonic Analysis and Related Topics, Lisbon,
June 21 – 25, 2010.
- Plenary speaker at Brian Davies 65th birthday conference, London, December 9-10, 2009.
- Plenary speaker at the Conferens on Advances in Boundary Integral Equations and Related Topics,
Newark, Delaware, August 7 - 9, 2009.
- Plenary speaker at the Conference on Spectral Theory and Geometric Analysis, July 29 - August 2, 2009,
- Plenary speaker at the Seventh Congress of the International Society for Analysis, its Applications and
Computation, July 13-18, 2009, London.
- Plenary speaker at the British Mathematical Colloquium Mathematics 2005, 4–7 April, Liverpool.
- Two hour speaker at the Rivière-Fabes Symposium on Analysis and PDE, Minneapolis, April 2005.
- Plenary speaker at the Congress of the German Mathematical Society, September 2003.
- Invited 45 min talk at the International Congress of Mathematicians, Beijing, 2002.
- Plenary speaker at the Third Congress of the International Society for Analysis, its Applications and
Computation, August 20-25, 2001, Berlin.
- Plenary speaker at the France-Israel conference Space: Frontiers of Interdisciplinary Research and
Applications dedicated to Alain Bensoussan, Paris, March 21-22, 1999.
- Invited address at the International Conference on Recent Advances in Analytical and Numerical
Treatment of Operator Equations in memory of Siegfried Prössdorf, Hemnitz, March 25-28 1999.
- Plenary lecture at the International Conference on Analysis and Mathematical Physics in honour of Lars
Gårding on his 80th birthday, Lund, August 16-20, 1999.
- Plenary address at the International Symposium Problemi Attuali dell’Analisi e della Fisica Mathematica
dedicato alla Memoria di Gaetano Fichera, Taormina, October 14-18 1998.
- Plenary speaker at the Wiener Centennial Symposium in Cambridge, Massachusetts, October 8-15, 1994.
Graduate supervising at Linköping University
∙ Doctorate: 2002 - J. Åslund, 2001 - S. Eilertsen, 1997 - M. Langer, 1997 - T. Ivanov, 1996 - J. Björn,
1995 - G. Bastay ∙ Licentiate: 2003 - D. Pettersson, 1999 - J. Åslund, 1997 - S. Eilertsen, 1996 - T.
Ivanov, 1995 - M. Langer, H. Åkermark ∙ Masters: 1998 - J. Östensson, 1995 - J. Åslund, S. Eilertsen, H.
Graduate supervising at Liverpool University
∙ MSci: 2005 - M. Nieves ∙ PhD: 2007 - M. Nieves
Member of Editorial Boards
∙ Complex Variables and Elliptic Equations, An International Journal, USA, ∙ Journal of Mathematical Sciences,
New York, Springer (Problemy Matematicheskogo Analiza, St-Petersburg), ∙ International Journal of
Pure and Applied Mathematics, Academic Publications, Bulgaria, ∙ Zeitschrift für Analysis und ihre
Anwendungen, Hederman Verlag, Berlin. ∙ Asymptotic Analysis, North-Holland, Amsterdam-London-New
York-Tokyo, ∙ Functional Differential Equations, The Research Institute, The College of Judea and Samaria,
Kedumim-Ariel, Israel, ∙ Applicable Analysis, USA, ∙ Memoirs on Differential Equations and Mathematical Physics,